Thursday, February 02, 2006

Call to prayer


Today I took a walk off the giant Sudirman through a lush garden with fountains spraying water in the wind to the alley way behind. I was hearing the call to prayer that rings through the air periodically throughout the day, but it seemed to be the same volume as it always is so I didn't realize there was a mosque right in front of me until I saw row upon row of men and boys kneeling and bowing. Some were on prayer rugs, but more were on newspaper with newspaper sheets covering their heads as well. They filled up the inside of the mosque--which was at least partially open air--and into the narow alleyway so that between them and a food cart there was only 1 narrow path for all of us walking in both directions. I wandered down and around some of the narrown crowded streets for awhile, fighting for space with cars, motorcyles, and lines of little motorcyle cabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment